Re: s6/s6-rc policy for Gentoo: config files for service scripts

From: Jan Braun <janbraun_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 22:26:10 +0200

Paul Sopka schrob:
> > > ... then begs the question: what's the advantage of having the
> > > ${S6CONFIGDIR}/system/config/seatd entry point at all? How much effort
> > > does this save the admin over creating their own my_seatd service and
> > > disabling the one you provide?
> > > (Honest question, I don't fully grok s6.)
> >
> > It doesn’t save any effort at all.
> I disagree, because it allows original service scripts to sit at
> /usr/lib/s6-rc/{user,system}/src/service
> and be recklessly updated by the package manager.

I think there's a misunderstanding here, I'll try again:
What I proposed is putting the service definitions into /usr, never copy
or link them to /etc, never modify them (except by package updates), and
let s6 execute them directly from there.

If the local admin wants something other than the service as you ship
it, they create a completely new, independent local service and disable
the one shipped by you.

Thus you can update the definitions in /usr as you see fit, and the
admin can override things as they see fit. No machinery needed inside
the actual run scripts.

Cheers,
    Jan