Re: s6/s6-rc policy for Gentoo: config files for service scripts

From: Paul Sopka <psopka_at_sopka.ch>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 21:11:13 +0200

>> ... then begs the question: what's the advantage of having the
>> ${S6CONFIGDIR}/system/config/seatd entry point at all? How much effort
>> does this save the admin over creating their own my_seatd service and
>> disabling the one you provide?
>> (Honest question, I don't fully grok s6.)
>
> It doesn’t save any effort at all.
I disagree, because it allows original service scripts to sit at
/usr/lib/s6-rc/{user,system}/src/service
and be recklessly updated by the package manager.

> For the record, I’m also in favor of this: the simpler the service
> scripts, the better in my opinion. They’re easier to understand,
> simpler to adapt. A short and direct script can be as descriptive as
> descriptive configuration files sometimes, but better because you
> actually know everything that takes place. :D
I wholeheartedly agree, this is pretty exactly my mindset too.
Additionally they are probably faster, since they are smaller and do not
need to parse configs.

Regards,

Paul