s6/s6-rc policy for Gentoo

From: Paul Sopka <psopka_at_sopka.ch>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2024 16:09:52 +0200

Hey everybody

I am currently working on implementing boot scripts, system services,
user services and general policy for Gentoo with s6/s6-rc.

I will soon (once I consider it acceptable) publish a github repo of my
current state, so others can criticize, improve and suggest components.
The plans is to, after some fleshing out, open another repo containing
an overlay with a profile and some packages, so it can be easily
installed for testing purposes. In the best case this shall once be
merged into official Gentoo.

Currently I see two major things I still need to solve:

1) A service monitoring logged in users, starting the user supervision
tree on the first login of a user and stopping it once the user logs out
from the last shell/display manager

2) An elegant way of synchronizing environment variables between the
users supervision tree and its services and the users login
shell/compositor/...

Regarding 1) the best idea I currently is to have a daemon monitoring
/var/run/utmp, starting an sub-process/s6-rc service for each user
appearing there and stopping this sub-process/s6-rc service once the
last login instance of the user vanished from that file. Since I have
very little programming experience, I wanted to as you, Bercot, whether
you consider this a good idea and if you do, whether this would be worth
a s6 program. Can this be achieved in a better way?

Regarding 2) I do not currently have an idea.

Apart from those, there is still a lot to do, e.g. writing basic service
scripts, and improving and expanding the boot scripts.

Of course, I will notify this list once the repo is up.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome, even if they do not belong to 1)
or 2)!

I wish you all a nice weekend!

Paul