Re: Pattern for multiple subservices and dynamic discovery i.e. VPN

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:04:50 +0000

>I'm looking for a pattern to solve a problem, where you have to
>discover dynamically the services you have to start.
>
>Examples could be VPN configurations, where you discover the
>configuration files and start for every file an instance of the VPN
>service.

  Hi Oliver,

  Dynamic instantiation is a real pain point - it's an often requested
feature, but it's surprisingly hard to make it work correctly and
safely in a supervision scheme. Supervision works very well in static
environments, but dynamic discovery is at odds with the architecture.

  I have a few ideas to mitigate that and help people create instanced
services. Instantiation is a planned feature of the future s6-rc v1
but it's still a ways away; I am also thinking of adding tools to help
people handle instances with regular s6, amd they may come in the near
future, but there are currently no such helpers, sorry.