Re: s6-linux-init without virtual consoles

From: <esben_at_geanix.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 14:38:20 +0200

"Laurent Bercot" <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> writes:

>>While that might make sense when the system is expected to have a
>>/dev/tty0 device, it is kind of messy to see that on systems that is not
>>supposed to have /dev/tty0.
>
> Kernels and various parts of init systems print warning messages all
> the time for similar reasons (some operation failed because it's not
> supported in the current configuration), I don't think it's fair to
> single out this one. I would prefer to do nothing.

I think it would be fair to be able to configure s6-linux-init so that
it does not rely on specific details about what hardware is available.

While virtual console is pretty much the standard on x86* platforms, on
embedded systems that is definitely not the case.

> That said, if it's important for more users, I could probably add a
> verbosity setting, where -v0 would silence warning messages.
> The problem is that it would do so for *all* warning messages, you'd
> have no way to tell whether you missed a warning that was actually
> relevant to you.

Yes, I would definitely not prefer to have to silence warning messages
in general.

> And no, I'm not adding a separate switch for every warning message
> in the program :P

Of-course not. That would be crazy.

While it is the warning message that meets my eye, the problem I am
addressing here is not the warning message as such, but the fact that
s6-linux-init will always try to open a virtual console, even on
platforms that would never ever have that. A build-time configuration
option for leaving that out would be fine, maybe even preferable.

/Esben