Re: s6 instanced services are "forgotten" after s6-rc-update

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 05:32:21 +0000

>Agree on avoiding restarting old instances. If instances were atomic
>services, s6-rc-update wouldn't restart them either.
>
>OTOH, the template's files are copied, not symlinked, which means
>restarting old instances will use the old template. Does this call for
>an s6-instance-update program?

  The fix I currently have in git does exactly that: instances are now
correctly transmitted across s6-rc-update, and not restarted; the new
template is copied, but it's not copied to existing instances, it will
only be used for new ones. To get the new template on an existing
instance, you need s6-instance-delete + s6-instance-create.

  There may indeed be some value to an s6-instance-update program that
would provide a new template to an existing instance, with an option
to immediately restart the instance or not. I'll think about it some
more,
inputs welcome.