Re: Question about enable-absolute-paths option

From: Shengjing Zhu <zhsj_at_debian.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 23:17:20 +0800

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 6:05 PM Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
> When you write 'execlineb -c "if { foo } blah"', the execlineb binary
> will execute into an argv starting with "if". If the "if" command
> isn't in its PATH, then it won't find it.
> --enable-absolute-paths cannot rewrite it into "/usr/lib/execline/if"
> in your scripts for you.

Thanks, now I understand it in technical perspective .

But I probably will not install binaries like `if, exec, wait` to
default PATH(like /usr/bin). Although I understand this is possible
technically(and currently no other programs claim these names).

The actual reason is that I can't afford time to argue with other
developers. When I ask on debian-devel list, at least someone is
object to this[1]. I'd to admit that I'm not good at argument. The
simple solution I see is to put notes in the debian package.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=906250

--
Shengjing Zhu <zhsj_at_debian.org>
GPG Key: 0xCF0E265B7DFBB2F2