Re: Bugs with execline/s6 documentation and skalibs functions using posix_spawn()

From: Casper Ti. Vector <caspervector_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 21:55:53 +0800

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 08:50:35AM +0000, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> I believe the correct setting is actually KillMode=mixed; and the
> ExecStop= line is incorrect as well since ExecStop expects a synchronous
> command, not an asynchronous one. Better let systemd just send a SIGTERM
> to s6-svscan, wait for the supervision tree to exit on its own, and
> SIGKILL the stragglers. I pushed a fix accordingly.

Yes, I did my change in a haste and did not notice the `mixed' option
which is indeed better. As you see, systemd waits for the stragglers
so that is at least correct, although the timeout (150s by default on
CentOS 7) is really exorbitant.

> Yeah, well, tough for non-conforming systems.
> That said, I also pushed a change last week that should have fixed
> this issue as a side effect, so it's all good. If you feel like it,
> you can try the s6-svscan version in the latest s6 git. :)

s6-svscan is quite a minor issue; I added .s6-svscan/SIGTERM for all
those scandirs which may unfortunately need to run on CentOS 7, as an
extra line of defence -- in addition to `--with-sysdep-posixspawn=no'
to skalibs. The latter also fixes other programs that involve
child_spawn*(), including home-made ones (iotrap, discussed a few days
ago on the supervision list) and upstream ones (for instance trap).

I personally think `--with-sysdep-posixspawn=no' is the really correct
fix on CentOS 7, which fixes silent failures with eg.:
  #!/bin/execlineb -P
  trap {
    SIGHUP { echo test }
  } /dev/xyzzy
As a more general fix, I think tryposixspawn.c should at least try
spawning a probably unexecutable path (like the one above) as well,
which corrects the sysdep on systems where the expected conformance
is broken.

--
My current OpenPGP key:
RSA4096/0x227E8CAAB7AA186C (expires: 2024.09.30)