Re: s6/s6-rc policy for Gentoo: config files for service scripts

From: Hoël Bézier <hoelbezier_at_riseup.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 20:28:58 +0200

Am Do, Sep 19, 2024 am 07:51:50 +0200 schrieb Jan Braun:
>> Allowing the sysadmin to completely override the service.
>> Unfortunately this also forces the sysadmin to override the service for
>> every so little change,
>
>... then begs the question: what's the advantage of having the
>${S6CONFIGDIR}/system/config/seatd entry point at all? How much effort
>does this save the admin over creating their own my_seatd service and
>disabling the one you provide?
>(Honest question, I don't fully grok s6.)

It doesn’t save any effort at all.

>Being able to easily add custom services is a necessity anyway.
>
>So maybe don't allow any customization (besides disabling) at all, ship
>
>| #!/bin/execlineb -P
>| fdmove -c 2 1
>| seatd -n3 -u root -g seatd
>
>and teach users to create new services with the 3rd line changed to
>whatever they need.

For the record, I’m also in favor of this: the simpler the service scripts, the
better in my opinion. They’re easier to understand, simpler to adapt. A short
and direct script can be as descriptive as descriptive configuration files
sometimes, but better because you actually know everything that takes place. :D

Hoël