Re: s6/s6-rc policy for Gentoo: The logging directory

From: Paul Sopka <psopka_at_sopka.ch>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 22:57:11 +0200

> Besides consistency, putting those below $HOME would also break in NFS
> setups where $HOME is shared among several machines.
Good point. I will keep the user logs at /var/log/s6/user/${USER} for now.
> Please don't. There's already 2 different standards for dotfiles (XDG
> and ~/.nameofprogram), inventing a third one is a case of
> https://xkcd.com/927/
> (But per the above, ~/ is not apropriate anyway, so the point is moot.)

I am not planning that, don't worry. I am only thinking about the idea.
Generally, I think sometimes the 15th standard is needed if the other
fourteen are terrible enough. People made the same joke about pipewire
when it was started xD.

Have a nice week!

Paul