"Back off" setting for crashing services with s6+openrc?

From: Tor Rune Skoglund <trs_at_fourc.eu>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 21:45:14 +0200

Hello List,

I am new to the list, so sorry if this question has been raised before.
However, I've made an honest attempt to figure this out before posting
here now.

I am using s6 with openrc on Gentoo and are using a couple of custom
made services which are fully stable under some conditions; i.e. they
simple crash and stop continuesly sometimes, which causes s6 to
instantly restart them --- with a high cpu-usage
crash-restart-crash-restart... loop as result.

Of course, the correct thing would be to fix the crashing service, but
it is not a possible option right now.

As a generic question, is there any setting with this s6+openrc config
that would make s6 "back off" a configurable number of seconds before
doing the restart?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

BR, Tor Rune Skoglund, trs_at_fourc.eu