Re: s6 xinit replacement?

From: Guillermo <gdiazhartusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 00:47:00 -0300

Hello,

El mié, 11 may 2022 a las 0:43, dallinjdahl escribió:

> I tried to run X under s6 with the following run file:
>
> ~~~
> #!/usr/bin/execlineb
> [...]
> X :${screen} vt${screen}
> ~~~
> [...]
> (WW) xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Operation not permitted
> (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Switching VT failed
> [...]
> Does anybody know anything about how s6-svscan and s6-supervise might
> change the environment so as to complicate running X?

If the Xorg process does not run as root, the tty specified in the vt
argument must be its controlling terminal. It works if you run X from
an interactive shell (perhaps indirectly through 'startx'), because it
inherits the shell's controlling terminal. It doesn't when run by
s6-supervise, because s6-supervise executes the 'run' file in a new
session, so there is no controlling terminal.

You can see Xorg fail in the same way if you do:

$ setsid startx

Using util-linux' setsid(1), or:

$ execlineb -Pc 'background { s6-setsid startx } exit'

G.