Re: Update early logger logging path after remounting root as rw

From: Rio Liu <rio6.liu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 16:26:03 -0400

> Well the catch-all logger is supposed to be just that: a catch-all
> logger. That means that ideally, every service should have its own
> dedicated logger, typically writing to /var/log/something, and the
> catch-all logger is only used for exceptional stuff such as error
> messages from the supervision tree, so it doesn't matter that its logs
> are stored under /run.

So the best practice is that every (long run) services should have a
"producer-for" and an extra "service-log" service? Sounds like a lot of
repeating works... perhaps I can use some symblink to do that.

It's difficult to do. It's possible in theory: you could have a oneshot
> that modifies /run/service/s6-svscan-log/run, replacing the
> "/run/uncaught-logs" string with the new location you want, then
> copies /run/uncaught-logs into that new location and restarting the
> s6-svscan-log service.

Yeah I don't think I'll go that route. Maybe it'll be easier to somehow
mount root as rw before the logger starts (if it's actually easier), or
just boot with rw root if I really need those logs to be saved.

For longruns, unless you want to also restart everything that depends
> on the service, you can just bypass the s6-rc layer and directly tell s6
> to restart your process: s6-svc -r /run/service/$sv

Thanks! I forgot that s6-rc actually runs on top of s6-supervice :)