Re: The "Unix Philosophy 2020" document

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 01:46:08 -0500

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 04:24:40 +0200
Alex Suykov <alex.suykov_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 07:23:09PM +0800, Casper Ti. Vector wrote:
>
> > I also wonder if someone on this mailing list is interested in
> > actually implementing a cgroup-based babysitter as is outlined in
> > the post, perhaps packaged together with standalone workalikes of
> > the cgroup chainloaders (`create-control-group' etc) from nosh? I
> > am still quite a newbie to actual system programming in C...
>
> https://github.com/arsv/minibase/blob/master/src/misc/runcg.c
>
> It's really simple.
>
> I don't think a tool like this has any actual uses, other than in
> arguments with systemd fans, but I guess that alone could justify
> its existance.

Yes and no. IMHO...

* Yes if somebody makes a separate executable whose inputs are through
  stdin, command line args, environment variables, and intermediate
  files, and whose actions consist of doing the right things with
  /sys/fs/cgroup/... or wherever, and which is run ONLY by a process'
  run script, and requires absolutely no change to existing s6 stack
  code.

* No if any code within the s6 stack must be changed. So much good
  software has gone bad trying to incorporate features for only the
  purpose of getting new users.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21