Re: s6 usability

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 09:00:48 +0000

>You can sling all the insults you want, but the fact is

... the fact is, I have explained this multiple times on this very list,
I am tired of seeing the same fallacy come up again and again, and I am
tired of repeating myself.

>fine with me, as long as the distro cooperates. But if the distro fails
>to carry out the intent of your software, there are worse things than
>putting it all in one directory or tree, prepathing their location, and
>running it that way.

1. There aren't any worse things than software breaking. Do I need to
explain again why software breaks when you do that?

2. Why aren't you suggesting the same thing to the ImageMagick authors?
or to the util-linux authors? Those are also dumping a lot of stuff into
/bin or /usr/bin, including a program abusively named "import" - for
which I was willing to concede, in the name of historical priority.
It's a real question. Why should I accept subpar treatment that nobody
else would consider?