Re: s6-ps

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:46:29 +0000

Laurent Bercot:
> I just wasn't aware of people besides me actually using s6-ps. :)

I used it as an example of not being a mess. (-:

s6 and s6-rc are actually ports/packages in FreeBSD and s6 is a package
in Debian. Alas, the Debian world has not yet caught up with the other
toolsets, and the third-party Debian packaging for s6-linux-utils and
the others has yet to make it into Debian's own repository.

* https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/s6/

* https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/s6-rc/

* https://packages.debian.org/sid/s6

* https://github.com/multiplexd/s6-packaging

You could, in theory, make s6-ps not Linux-specific. It would require
interposing a layer that abstracted reading the information out of the
kernel, though. It's perhaps not worth it, because (for example) the
FreeBSD ps is not nearly as encumbered by the mess that results from
multiple personalities and Jack-of-All-Trades option parsing, albeit
that it still has confusing column headings and does not have an env column.

* https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/492513/