Re: s6-svscanboot, how to exit?

From: Jean Louis <bugs_at_gnu.support>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:53:44 +0300

Hello Jonathan,

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 02:47:39PM +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> > Type=forking
>
> No.
>
> > StandardOutput=tty
>
> No.
>
> > RemainAfterExit=yes
>
> No.
>
> > SysVStartPriority=99
>
> No.

I know I know, I did not read the manuals on
systemd.

> You're a long-time daemontools user, you say.
> Why on Earth do you think that Type=forking is
> right?

Because I don't think, I copied and it works, if
you did not tell me know, it would remain so for
years probably. I know I should be more
responsible, but I have placed before daemontools
in /etc/inittab and just forgot about it, I guess
that is wanted effect.

> Why on Earth do you think that good daemons fork
> and exit parent?

I don't think really, and I tried the one-shot
method too, but that was not the problem that I
was not exiting.

This one I changed

RemainAfterExit=no

and now after systemd "start" it exits.

> Why on Earth do you think that svscan -- any
> svscan, from daemontools-encore svscan to
> s6-svscan -- forks and exits parent? Or needs a
> TTY?

You are right, I did not check enough.

Now I have it better and simpler, after reading
your references, but .path is not required in
separate file (I guess):

cat s6.service
[Unit]
Description=S6 Supervision
ConditionPathExists=/service

[Service]
ExecStart=/command/s6-svscan /service
Restart=always
RemainAfterExit=no

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

and start/stop stuff works with systemd.

Thanks much!

Jean