Re: register runsvdir as subreaper

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 19:34:40 +0000

>Or put your script as /usr/local/bin/runsv (assuming /usr/local/bin is
>in your PATH ofc) so the original runsv is left untouched, which is
>nice (I feel), and certainly better when using a package manager.

  Indeed, if runsvdir uses PATH resolution to find runsv, it's easier
and better to override runsv via PATH.

  However, you should not assume that an executable in a package always
uses PATH resolution to find other executables in the same package. To
ensure reproducible behaviour and independence from the environment,
it is perfectly valid for an executable to hardcode paths to its
companion executables, in which case you have to replace the binary if
you want to wrap it.