Re: djbwares version 4

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 13:18:14 +0000

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard:

> In celebration of the forthcoming leap second, djbwares is now at
> version 4.
>
> * http://jdebp.eu./Softwares/djbwares/
> * http://jdebp.info./Softwares/djbwares/

Jean Louis:

> http://jdebp.info./Softwares/djbwares
>
> is not working: "access denied" and I instinctively tried that one
> first, as to avoid .eu (even it makes no sense).

You should have just tried the URL that I gave to you, without your
changing it to something different.

Ironically, Bernstein publicfile is part of the package at hand, and
this is the documented behaviour of publicfile, in its original
Bernstein manual:

> A request for http://v/f refers to the file named ./v/f inside
the root directory hierarchy, if f does not end with a slash.

> httpd will refuse to read a file if the file [...] is anything other
than a regular file: a directory, socket, device, etc.

publicfile isn't going to let you read the WWW server's directories
directly with URL tricks. You attempt that in vain. (-: For *not*
trying to trick the WWW server, and simply reading the blurb and the
download instructions, just use the actual URL that I gave.