Re: Application supervisor: sync point manager

From: Lionel Van Bemten <lionel.van_bemten.ext_at_nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 20:04:10 +0200

Thanks, exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

I see the spm as the service manager in itself (because it implements the
dependencies), i.e. an alternative to s6-rc and anopa. I think I will
therefore go for a solution like the second you describe, in the first
place. I might consider adding a fully-fledged service manager later, if
I need functionality that I don't want to add in spm. However it means
application dependency management would be split between s6-rc and spm, I
don't know if I like that.

One little question about this:
> - Remove the down files. (So the services get restarted even if their
> supervisor dies.)

What are possible reasons for s6-supervise to die? After reboot of my
system I want the down files to be there.

Also I would be curious to know you opinion about solution 3, i.e.
having a supervised process (spm) fork into s6-svscan. Do you see that
as a valid approach?

Lionel