Re: Entering a passphrase interactively in a runit script

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 09:52:22 -0400

On Thu, 26 May 2016 14:16:16 +0100
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups_at_NTLWorld.com>
wrote:

> Christophe-Marie Duquesne:
> > Any idea how to proceed?
>
> You're running a daemon. It really shouldn't have an interactive
> user interface. Remember the lessons that resulted in Session 0
> Isolation in Windows NT.

The more I read of this thread, the more I think it's a bad idea to
have a boot-instantiated daemon acquire a password by any means, and
the more I think maybe a completely different approach might be more
appropriate. So let me ask the original poster a few questions:

* What does this daemon do?
* How many users does the machine have?
        - At one time?
        - Ever?
* Would all the machine's users be expected to know the password?
* Did you write the daemon yourself?
* Why does it need to be a supervised daemon, rather than just a
  program the user runs?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21