Re: Things related to a lecture on s6/s6-rc (suggestions welcome)

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 20:34:59 +0100

On 21/02/2016 15:06, Casper Ti. Vector wrote:
> Hello, I plan to give a 2-hour student-to-students lecture about
> s6/s6-rc in my school's LUG. Attached are related files for anyone
> interested (any suggestion is more than welcome):

  That's awesome! thanks for spreading the good word :)

  I would offer to proofread your slides, if you have any, but if
you're giving the lecture in Chinese, my help would be very limited. :)

  A few questions / requests for details, related to your outline:

  1.1.2.1: in "signal handling", I assume you're talking about both
SIGCHLD management (to reap orphans and restart supervised processes)
and SIGINT/SIGUSR1/SIGUSR2 management (for the shutdown procedure) ?

  2.2.1: I think chainloading would be better addressed when you talk
about run scripts - that's where it shines. s6-rc, and more generally
a service manager, isn't closely related. In the s6-rc implementation,
execline is only used in the oneshot scripts because it allows me to
precompile them in the simple cases - but really, scripts can be
written in any language, and I don't want people to assume that s6-rc
is tied to execline when it's not (I mean, it's used internally, but
users don't have to know the language to use s6-rc).

  2.3: I feel like your content is more about fd-holding than logging
itself. Personally, I would make a section about fd-holding, and another
section about logging, even if the latter ends up being very short. In
the logging section, you could address things like the logging chain,
the need for services to log to stderr, and your current 2.3.3 about
syslogd, for instance.

  2.4: I don't know Plan 9 but keep hearing good things about it. If,
whenever you have the time, you could sum up the similarities between
DJBesque design and the Plan 9 spirit, I'd really appreciate it.

  3.2: what's this about emptyenv -p and setproctitle ? (Maybe the answer
is in the tgz, which I haven't looked at. If it is the case, just say so
and I'll have a look.)

  Congratulations again for your work,