Re: Built-in ordering

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 18:41:15 +0200

On 20/09/2015 18:26, Steve Litt wrote:

> Of course, all this could be avoided the LittKit way and just run a
> script depositing "down" files before running the supervisor. But the
> LittKit way specifically defies Laurent's proposal that PID1 be able to
> restart the supervisor (I think).

  I don't know exactly how LittKit does things, but "depositing ./down
files" is the way s6-rc proceeds internally. It does not go against the
principle of the supervision tree being able to restart the service,
because only services that are supposed to be down have a ./down file.
The state where everything is down is temporary, at start; then the
service manager removes ./down files one by one as it brings up the
services.

  PID 1 being able to restart the supervisor is something else: it's
the reason why I disagree with your choice of suckless init.