Re: s6: something like runit's ./check script

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:24:54 +0200

On 08/09/2015 10:49, Jan Bramkamp wrote:
> - Have one polling daemon.
> - A wrapper registers polled services with the polling daemon.

  No can do, sorry.

  You can't make a supervision infrastructure depend on daemons,
because daemons depend on a supervision infrastructure. The
polling daemon would have to be supervised; of course it would
not perform polling itself, but it would still need to be up
every time a polling service starts. That's way too much
bootstrap complexity and possibility of failure (with bad
consequences) for that kind of functionality.

  Avoiding dependencies from s6 mechanisms to a daemon is the
reason for the fifodir stuff, for instance. If I could have a
daemon, I'd use one to pubsub notifications - it would be
cleaner. But no.

  Also, what's wrong with a simple unsupervised background process
that dies when its job is done?