Re: OpenRC now supports daemon supervision using s6

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:35:59 -0400

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:07:33 +0200
Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 25/07/2015 21:43, Guillermo wrote:
> > I was recently looking at OpenRC's source tarball to see how it
> > implemented something, and was surprised by this little discovery:
>
> Nice finding! Thanks for the experiments.

I didn't do a lot of reading, but it sounds to me like this solves one
of OpenRC's two disadvantages: The fact that it can't respawn.

For all I know it might amelliorate the other problem: insane init
script complexity, by putting more of the details in the s6 run script.

Me, I'd just go with s6 out of the box, but I guess OpenRC is more
corporationally correct or something like that, and as such, I'm glad
it can use s6 to do the supervision (and sysvinit to do the PID1, you
can't make this up, folks).

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21