Re: First thoughts on s6

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 11:31:17 -0700

On 6/18/2015 6:04 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> You or somebody had better document that clearly and simply.
I'm going to write up a document on the structure and contents of
definition directories, as used by supervision-scripts. However, I'm
going to try and approach it from an evolutionary approach, so that each
decision is laid out, and the role and purpose of each directory, file,
and symlink is clear. With a little luck it might also touch on the
various aspects of different frameworks, what their expectations are,
and how they interact with those files.

With regard to the double-symlink trick, that's something I borrowed
from how I handle switching run scripts. It was a crude layout but I
think I can simplify it a bit more and make it less messy, while making
it neutral to all of the frameworks. I'm still thinking it over.

> I think the difference between those two reactions is about a half a
> page of text and maybe a diagram or two. If you incorporate this
> system, when the time comes, send me back this email to remind me, and
> I'll help with the document.
It will probably be just a markdown document (for expediency) but I'll
take the same text and push it into the project wiki as well, so it's
"pretty".

> By the way, Avery, that's a slick solution to a real problem. Nice one!
Thanks! The problem was lurking around in my head but I never gave it
time, until now.