Re: comparison

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:39:14 -0400

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 14:12:48 -0700
Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/2015 1:32 PM, post-sysv wrote:
> > Soon systemd arrives with its promise of being a unified userspace
> > toolkit that systems developers can supposedly just plug in and
> > integrate without hassle to get X, Y and Z advantages. No more
> > writing initscripts, no more setting policy because systemd will do
> > as much as it can for you. A lazy package maintainer's dream,
> > ostensibly.
>
> That last sentence is telling. It's also why a master catalog of
> settings is so badly needed.
>
> In my not very humble opinion, we really need a single point of
> reference, driven by the community, shared and sharable, and publicly
> visible. I could envision something like a single website which
> would collect settings and store them, and if you needed settings, it
> would build all of the envdir files and download them in one giant
> dollop, probably a tarball. Unpack the tarball and all of the envdir
> settings are there, waiting to be used. You could even be "fancy"
> and track option flags through various daemon revisions, so that if
> you have an older service running, you tell it "I have older version
> x.y.z" and you get the "correct" flags and not the "current" ones.

I must be too cynical. I see that after the above described collection,
website, and envdirs (does that mean service directories) is somewhat
operational, a well funded "Open Source" vendor will flood it with
wheelbarrows of cash and a parade of developers, and that nice, simple
collection and web app becomes unfathomable (and has a 20K word terms
and conditions). But that's why they have paid support, right?

I'll now go back to talking about technology.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key