Re: Describing daemontools in 300 words?

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 01:37:35 -0400

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 04:35:09 +0200
Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 13/06/2015 03:19, Steve Litt wrote:
> > When I tried S6 about 8
> > months ago (and I knew a lot less then), I was unable to get it
> > installed and running.
>
> I already asked, and will ask again: please try it again. Since the
> last time you tried, there has been in particular:
> - the Christmas 2014 update, which has simplified installation a
> lot; the goal was precisely to make the software more accessible.
> - http://skarnet.org/software/s6/overview.html which I asked you to
> give me your opinion about but you never replied.

I'm in a much better position to give you an opinion now:

* I'm much more knowledgeable about inits than in 10/2014
* I now have a computer with hardware VM accelleration, makes all the
  difference in the world.
* I've discovered Plop Linux, a bare bones, almosts transparent distro
  that's very easy to work on.

I'll try very hard, within the next 2 weeks, to lay down an S6 init on
a VirtualBox VM loaded with Plop Linux.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key