Re: What interrupt does Ctrl+Alt+Delete send PID1?

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 11:31:44 +0200

On 12/06/2015 02:54, Steve Litt wrote:
> * Whole thing running in a VirtualBox VM

  Ah, I'm not sure how all this plays with virtualization. VirtualBox
looks like a full virtualizer with a separate kernel for the guest,
so it probably makes no difference, but if your guest kernel is also
your host kernel and it's container-based virtualization, then pid 1
rules may change completely. I'm not familiar enough with virtualized
systems or containers to know exactly what happens in that case.

> By the way, my Plop Linux boots up such
> that /proc/sys/kernel/ctrl-alt-del has value 1. Changing it to 0
> doesn't enable the three finger salute to run /bin/rc.shutdown reboot.

  Well, your host system will definitely catch the 3 finger salute; it
won't be sent as is to your guest system. Is there a way for the VM to
send an emulated ctrl-alt-del press to the guest ?

> If I change it, it reverts to 1 after reboot.

  That's just a sysctl in your boot scripts.