Re: Arch Linux derivative using s6?

From: Dreamcat4 <dreamcat4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 17:34:26 +0100

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org
> wrote:
>
> If I ever have to install a distribution again, I'll probably go
> with Alpine, unless something even better comes along.

I also would use Alpine, except they just don't comprehensively support all
up-to-date packages. ATM, no other linux distro touches ubuntu + PPA for
package support. Just doing nearly anything. It's pretty much guaranteed.
Therefore, sorry to say: I use ubuntu debootstrap min-base for all server
stuff. And ubuntu desktop for a GUI environment.

There's nothing wrong with extolling the virtues of these respective
distros. However I am a practically person. And when lacking pkgs = not
practical / time efficient to fill in so many missing gaps.

I do agree with the sentiments here and hope that pkg support may continue
improve for alpine linux in particular. But i myself simply cannot justify
changing over until then. Being realistic the timescale is probably more
towards several years than several months.

You can disagree with me on the respective levels of package support. But
I'll probably just laugh at you all.
Kind Regards