Re: Could s6-scscan ignore non-servicedir folders?

From: Steve Litt <slitt_at_troubleshooters.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:26:45 -0500

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:23:22 +0100
Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 21/01/2015 19:03, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > I do too. If you have a run-once thing that quickly returns,
> > couldn't you just not exec the thing in the run script, and then
> > have the last statement in your run script write a "down" file to
> > the service? I'm assuming that s6 does down files the same way as
> > daemontools.
>
> That's really using a supervision infrastructure for things it was
> not made for. You don't want to spawn a s6-supervise process for every
> one-shot script you're running!

My use case would be something like this: perhaps
mySpecialConfigScript, which gets run once and terminates after doing
its job, must be run at boot but depends on mySpecialDaemon, which is
managed by, let's say, s6-supervise. I can't put mySpecialConfigScript
in phase 1 because it requires mySpecialDaemon, which is phase 2.

So anyway, this would be done only for the few one-shot processes that
require a certain daemon running. One-shots with no daemon dependencies
can be done in phase 1, no problem.

But at least, if I *absolutely must* run a one-shot, on boot, that
depends on a daemon, I have a way of doing it which involves no change
to the current runit, s6, nosh or (as far as I know) perp programs.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance