Re: Using runit-init on debian/Jessie in place of sysvinit/systemd

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 02:34:03 -0800

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 6:24 PM, James Powell <james4591_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> One service that falls into a massive gray area is udev.

There is an older posting on the mailing list about this.

> Be advised that some services that are one-shots may need a suitable
> execution state maintenance utility to keep the execution state in the
> active state. Otherwise, just script it to be loaded in the early areas of
> stage 2 before others.

I have been giving the "one shot" question considerable thought. I have a
number of scripts that require this kind of behavior, so it's of great
interest to me. The current methods that I have encountered are:

+ use a pause(1) command that simply sleeps forever on a subset of signals,
then terminates; this effectively holds the script

+ as per discussion elsewhere on the mailing list, have the script send a
signal to itself to make it go to sleep (untested)

However, "holding" the execution is a stop-gap, and both have small
drawbacks that grow larger on embedded systems. I have been toying with an
idea that doesn't require either one, while using the existing
arrangement. I'll experiment and report back sometime later.