Re: [announce] s6-2.0.0.0

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:54:15 -0800

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Laurent Bercot
<ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> Merry Christmas! s6-2.0.0.0 is out.
>
> * Build system changed to ./configure && make && sudo make install.
> Distributors rejoice! Packaging s6 will now be easy and won't go against
> your guidelines, no matter how strict they are.
> * You need brand new skalibs-2.0.0.0 and execline-2.0.0.0, both s6
> build-time dependencies.
> * Reassessed portability. s6 should run as is on at least Linux, FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris and MacOS X. If you're trying to make it work on
> another architecture and adjustments are needed, please report it.
> * No major functional changes. Cosmetic fixes left and right.
> * One added feature: readiness notification support in s6-svwait, and a new
> program, s6-notifywhenup, to perform fifodir notification of service
> readiness
> without having to link the daemon to a specific library. Some minimal daemon
> support is still needed: daemons signal readiness by writing a line to a
> file
> descriptor. tcpserver and s6-[tcp|ipc]server*, among others, do this.
>
> Readiness notification support is an important tool to have. It's a
> requirement for dependency management.
>
> Lots of future work to come in 2015. I can't wait to start!
>
> Enjoy, and please send bug-reports.

Sounds good. You should probably update the download link on the
skalibs page though, it's still pointing at 1.6.0.0.

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees