Re: ejabberd

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:50:31 -0700

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Alex Efros <powerman_at_powerman.name> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is anyone here run ejabberd with runit?
> Can you please share your service and log setup?

Ok, so I went digging around a little bit, and found this nugget at
https://www.ejabberd.im/node/4074. If you go to that page, and then press
ctrl-F to open a "find" window for your browser, and enter "foreground",
you should get a hit on some text that looks like this:

>2) Edit /etc/init.d/ejabberd, locate a line which starts the Erlang
emulator -- it should look something like this:
su $EJABBERDUSER -c "$EJABBERD -noshell -detached"
>and temporarily remove these -noshell -detached options, save and attempt
to start ejabberd again, having checked >that no instance is running (kill
any beam or beam.smp process running).
>Without these options, ejabberd will run in foreground, and if it crashes,
you'll be able to scroll its output up and look for error message.

(sorry if the formatting is horrid - all credit for this belongs to the
author on that web page) I've yet to try this, so I don't know if it will
address your problem with it, but it's worth looking into.

It also looks like erlang has some "helper" processes that it will start,
epmd being one of them (see http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/epmd.html for
details). This might be a case where the service under SysVInit is
actually several other little services + main service; which means writing
a few more runit scripts to handle them, and making your ejabberd do a
dependency check for each service before starting up.