Runit design for LFS.

From: James Powell <james4591_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 02:28:30 +0000

Figured I'd get some feedback on this:

I've currently crafting the next major release of Runit for LFS as both a replacement for the LFS-Bootscripts and BLFS-Bootscripts packages I plan to dub as LFS-Runit-Services.

The focus of the design will center around a stand-alone stage-1 for booting the system equivalent of using LFS-Bootscripts plus the Random Number Generator entropy, as well as basic core networking.

Stage-2 will compromise all previous sysvinit operated services, with the exception of BLFS's LSB scripts which are nothing more than trigger scripts ran by a stage-1 processes. This will save a lot of time and effort with the next implementation. These stage scripts are redrafts and imported commands from VoidLinux and ArchIgnited with some customizations specifically for LFS.

As a result I've also had to import the service scripts for LSB, several handling scripts from LFS-Bootscripts for system control, and other things as well. I'm currently in the process of drafting a Makefile to install and uninstall scripts as needed, and rework the BLFS-services Makefile to perform equal actions for the service run files in creating and removing symlinks between /var/services(/etc/runit/runsvdir/current symlink) and /etc/sv. The goal is to make a complete swap-out from the book.

My goal is to have at least a minimal service set of scripts out for release by the first part of August if all goes well.