Re: initialization vs supervision

From: Joe M <joe9mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:27:06 -0500

Hello Laurent,

> The pstrees that are posted in this thread show a nice amount of
> supervised services, and also some services that are *not* supervised;
> the reason for this is probably that the unsupervised services are
> started in /etc/runit/1, when runsvdir isn't yet started. This is a shame:
> you want core services to be supervised, even more than non-core ones.

Just wanted to give more details on my system. The processes that are
*not* supervised are the ones started by openrc. I do not think those
processes are critical enough to warrant supervision.

I totally agree with you that core services need to be supervised,
even more than the non-core ones.

> I believe the right way for an initialization system to boot is:
> - do the minimum necessary amount of early init so the supervisor can work
> - fork the one-time initialization process, and block it so it can only
> run once the supervision tree is active
> - exec into the supervision system (so that it is either process 1 itself,
> or supervised by process 1).

This approach appears similar to how I use runit+openrc. runit/1 calls
"rc sysinit" and "rc boot". runit/2 calls "runsvchdir single" or
"runsvchdir multi" depending on the kernel command line.

Thanks again for your insight,
Joe

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--