Re: service directory on NFS-mounted filesystem

From: Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins_at_finestructure.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:20:05 -0700

On Mon, Sep 16 2013, Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
> The point of NFS is to share a part of the filesystem across several
> computers. A supervised service is local to a machine; service
> directories store local information. Things such as service PID and
> lock file cannot be shared. (Even if NFS locking works, you don't want
> to prevent a service from starting up on a machine because the same
> service is already up on another.)
>
> Keep local information on local filesystems.

Hey, Laurent. This is definitely a valid point, but my intent was not
to use the service directory to control runsv processes on multiple
machines. Network availability of the filesystem would mostly be for
access to the logs and uptime when transferring the service to a new
host.

I'm mostly just curious about the technical considerations of storing
named pipes on NFS, assuming they are still only being used on a single
machine.

jamie.