Re: root svwait on unprivileged supervise

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 15:17:42 +0000

>While we're at it, may I ask about s6's versioning scheme? I noticed
>there was an ABI change in skalibs (env_mergen becoming a macro), but
>the Gentoo package for skalibs is currently set up to only trigger
>rebuilds of dependant packages if the second number changes (e.g. from
>2.14.x to 2.15.x).

  There was no change in s6's API or ABI, so only the last number
(release) will change.

  For skalibs, the real answer is that I'm not as cautious as I should
be.
I don't want to update the major version unless it's very necessary, and
the changes so far have only been additions and bugfixes; but you're
right that if the ABI changes, the major should change as well. To
avoid that, I'll change env_mergen back to a symbol until there's
another, more compelling reason to break compatibility (at which point
it's a major upgrade anyway and I can make env_mergen a macro again).

  Thanks for keeping watch, it's a good feeling when someone notices it
when I do something wrong. :)