Re: s6 instanced services are "forgotten" after s6-rc-update

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:08:05 +0000

>I can provide an strace of s6-rc-update if needed. Looking into it, it
>seems s6-rc-update "uncritically" unlinks the live instance/ and instances/
>folders and replaces them with brand-new copies from the compiled database.

  I can confirm that this happens and that it was an oversight; I'm now
in the process of fixing it (which will involve a few changes to s6
ending
up in a major update, I'm afraid).

  A question I have is: what should s6-rc-update do when the template has
changed? The template will obviously be changed in the new service, but
should the old instances stay alive, with the old template? My natural
inclinaton is to say yes; if the user wants the service restarted they
can say so explicitly in the conversion file. But maybe there are better
alternatives I haven't thought about.