Re: [announce] Small skarnet.org update

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 01:24:51 +0000

>what about adding the following feature to s6-echo?
>
>command line option -D enables double-output mode,
>so instead of using stdout for regular output, and stderr
>for warnings and errors, everything is sent both to stdout
>and stderr. This is intended to redirect stderr to a log file,
>so full output can be both shown on console and logged.

  The command you're looking for is named "tee". :)

  I'd rather keep s6-echo as simple and intuitive as possible - it's
meant to write stuff to stdout and nothing else. I'm already pretty
angry that this command exists - the only reason why s6-echo needs to
be a thing is that no two implementations of the "echo" command do
the exact same thing, so "echo" is unusable when you have a string
that starts with a dash (or a string that you *don't know*, because
it could start with a dash and yield unpredictable outcomes.)
  If it weren't for that, I would gladly scrap s6-echo. So I'm not going
to add stuff to it and make *more* software depend on it.