Re: Execline Help: Need the Return Value and the Stdout of a Program

From: Scott Colby <scott_at_scolby.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 02:05:15 -0500

Thanks for the quick responses!

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021, at 03:38, Alex Raschi wrote:
> If i understood correctly, this should do what you want:

This was exactly it. Thanks for the help.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021, at 06:31, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> As an addition, if you use execline-2.8.* then the -i option
> to backtick is the default behaviour, and there is a -E option to
> perform the 'importas' part automatically,

I like this option: it would really cut down on the boilerplate of
specifying the variable name 3 times. I tried to use it at first,
but my distro-supplied version is too old to have it, unfortunately.

> You could also add "unexport ?" between the foreground block and
> the s6-svscan execution, to ensure the ? environment variable
> added by foreground does not spill into the whole supervision tree.

Very good point; I will do so.

> {Debian-specific things}

Indeed I am using Debian's packaged version. I had noticed that the
various commands were not on the default PATH, and I had manually
added /usr/lib/execline/bin to it. My installation (execline 2.5.0.1-3
on Debian Buster) doesn't have the wrapper in /usr/bin/execlineb.
I thought that was strange, as it means the packaged version of
execline is broken unless you make edits to the PATH...

Thanks,
Scott