Re: Question about enable-absolute-paths option

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 19:56:45 +0000

>I intend to package skarnet softwares in Debian. When packaging
>execline, I find it produces a lot of binaries with common names. Thus
>I want to put them in path like /usr/lib/execline/.

  Do not do this.
  Several programs, including s6 and s6-rc, rely on execline binaries
to be in their PATH. They will not work if you segregate execline
binaries.
  If you insist on doing so, you'll have to make sure that
/usr/lib/execline is in everyone's PATH, so there will be no benefit
for you and more runtime overhead for everyone.

  There is no reason why execline binaries can't be first-class
citizens on your system. The existence of an "if" program does not
conflict with the "if" reserved word in the shell. Having lots of
files in /bin hasn't been an issue since the ext2 filesystem.
There was a command ("import") with a conflicting name, but it has
been removed.
  The presence of "lots of binaries with common names" is simply
not a problem.