Re: Debianization

From: Avery Payne <avery.p.payne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 13:38:05 -0700

I've been living with rc-shim for several months now, and while it isn't
perfect, it's certainly taken a lot of the pain out of migration while
using SysV rc scripts. I'm planning on switching off of runit this summer
and moving to s6, so this is both a "proof in the pudding" moment for me
because the shim is supposedly supervisor-agnostic. There are two basic
issues that I've yet to solve that aren't cosmetic in nature:

1. Debian's updates will overwrite /etc/init.d/{name-of-service-script}
with a new copy each time a service is updated. It's annoying but easily
fixed, simply "head -n25 /etc/init.d/{script}" and copy the header comments
into a new shim, and then copy the modified shim over the init script.
2. The shim doesn't detect service flapping. This nasty condition happens
when the service starts, runs for 1 second, the shim wakes from sleep and
detects the service is OK (because the supervisor task reports back that it
is OK), and the shim exits with a successful return code; but the service
crashes a second later, and the supervisor then restarts it over and over
again. You're left thinking there is a good start, but the service is
flapping like a wounded moth. Ugly all the way around, and I don't have a
good fix yet.

Both of these are temporary problems when viewed as a stepping stone to a
pure s6 system, so it's not too big of a concern. The real problem remains
the same for Debian - writing the hundreds of run script definitions to
cover all packages.