Re: Set binprefix when not using slashpackage

From: Patrick Mahoney <pat_at_polycrystal.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 12:41:16 -0500

On , Laurent Bercot wrote:
> On 2016-08-02 05:46, Patrick Mahoney wrote:
>
>> The Nix package manager is similar to slashpackage in that a given
>> version of s6 lives within a single directory (e.g. commands can be
>> found in /nix/store/$hash-s6-$version/bin/s6-*), however it does
>> not follow the ${sproot}/package/${category}/${package}-${version}
>> slashpackage standard (partly because a "version" is a hash of all
>> build-time and run-time dependencies).
>
> Does Nix guarantee the availability of binaries under a stable absolute
> path,
> all the time, even across version changes? Is there a way to reliably
> provide
> not only the BINPREFIX, but also the EXTBINPREFIX?

Yes, the absolute path will be stable. This could be set at configure
time and would never change.

> If yes, then I'll gladly accept a patch to ./configure (for the
> application
> packages, and also to the skalibs one, which is very different) that
> implements
> --enable-nix and does the right thing with all the prefixes.

Hm, I'll have to think about this some more. I'd rather not introduce
package-manager-specific special cases if it can be avoided...

> If Nix's policy is to provide "standard" wrappers for every binary
> in a package, then it is definitely broken.

It's not policy; it's just an available technique that works without
requiring any changes to the executable being invoked. Generally I'd
prefer patching things so that executables are invoked via absolute
path.

Thanks,
Patrick