Re: [announce] s6-rc: a s6-based service manager for Unix systems

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 22:04:56 +0200

On 29/09/2015 20:59, Avery Payne wrote:
> 5. I think the only way out of this silly situation is the creation
> of .debs with your init/supervisor, and include some support scripts
> in them to intercept whatever brain damage apt-get seems to be
> enduring with regard to restarting daemons after upgrading them.
> Given the situation that Gerrit already has runit as a deb /and/ it
> requires a lot of hand-holding to integrate the "official" deb into
> the system, I see this being a slightly uphill battle for s6.

  Oh, yeah, as far as distributions go, there's no way s6/s6-rc is
going to make it into Debian as an init system. If s6 is going to
be packaged for Debian, it will simply be as a supervision tree
running as a normal service (typically under systemd), and
applications that want to run under it will have it as a dependency
and provide their own run scripts. And s6-rc isn't going to enter
Debian in the next decade.

  I have more hope with Devuan, the Debian-without-systemd distribution
in the making, but even there, it's definitely not going to be a piece
of cake.

  I believe a good starting point to provide s6-rc packages would be
Alpine Linux, because Alpine has the same goals: minimalism and
correctness - it's probably easier to convince people there to try
it out, and probably easier to do the actual work. I have sent an
e-mail to Natanael Copa to ask him if there would be interest in
having s6 / s6-rc as an alternative init system, I'm waiting for the
answer. If it's a yes, then working on Alpine packages will definitely
something to go for.