Re: s6-rc-update initial findings

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:40:44 -0700

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Things it didn't do right:
> Put the links back into /run/service
>
> That last one was a bit surprising, and is totally fine until the next
> time I (or something else) issues `s6-svscanctl -an /run/service'. I'm
> going to go manually fix that since an 80% empty supervision root is a
> bit uncomfortable. My guess though is that's undesirable behavior
> since unless I'm mistaken adding longruns require triggering a rescan
> of service/.

Ok, did some more testing and it looks like the contents of $SVCDIR
end up being the additive delta between current and new. When
initializing, there are no s6-rc managed servoces in $SVCDIR so of
course the delta will be all new services. When adding a new longrun,
your contents of $SVCDIR will only be the new service. It's probably
safe since giving s6-svscan SIGALRM only adds services (never
removes), and s6-rc brings down services by directly sending s6-svc
-wD -dx to the service. Not sure if this was a design decision, but I
still prefer having $SVCDIR be representative of my run state. At
least I now know what's going on.

Cheers!

-Colin

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees