Re: Set binprefix when not using slashpackage

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:49:30 +0200

On 10/09/2016 21:31, Patrick Mahoney wrote:
> Thoughts?

> - exit 1
> +# exit 1

  What was your problem with that? The weird Darwin thing where they
hardcode the OS release number in the compiler's triple, and configure
reported a spurious mismatch?

  I'm of two minds here. On the one hand, I would like you, and others, to
be able to build skarnet.org stuff out of the box even in that case. On
the other hand, that check is useful and I really don't want to cater to
retardedly broken systems - including a release number in a triple may be
the single most incredibly stupid idea MacOS packagers have had, and
competition for the spot is fierce.

> + echo "#define ${package_macro_name}_BINPREFIX \"$bindir/\""
> + echo "#define ${package_macro_name}_EXTBINPREFIX \"$bindir/\""

  So, basically, all this does is hardcode the installation path into
binaries. It works on Nix if you give, for instance, the correct
--prefix=/nix/weird/hash/package/prefix option, but it's not Nix-specific:
you're just telling configure that your binaries will never move and you're
willing to trade PATH resolution for absolute paths.

  If you're certain it's what you want, I don't have any objection to it,
but then I'd change the option name, because it's not Nix-specific - it
can be used on basically any system. All the Nixness is on you, who must
make sure the prefix is the correct one.