Re: s6-linux-init permissions

From: Luis Ressel <aranea_at_aixah.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 16:06:18 +0100

On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:47:23 +0100
Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 07/03/2016 15:28, Luis Ressel wrote:
> > IMHO it makes much sense to run s6-linux-init as non-root if you
> > only want to check its output without actually using it on your
> > system, so I'd propose to change its file permissions in
> > package/modes to 0755.
>
> I understand it's annoying, but the root permissions are actually
> necessary. The uncaught-logs subdirectory is chowned

I'm aware of this. What's so bad about people being able to run
s6-linux-init-maker without root permissions?

If someone runs it by accident, they'd get a helpful error message
("s6-linux-init-maker: fatal: unable to mkdir
dir/run-image/uncaught-logs: Operation not permitted"), and as I've
pointed out, there *are* vaild usecases for actually running it as
non-root (either via -u$(id -nu) or via fakeroot).

--
Regards,
Luis Ressel