Re: [s6] debian packaging

From: Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:05:21 +0200

(Please follow-up this part of the thread to the skaware mailing-list.)

On 12/08/2015 08:37, Buck Evan wrote:
> -
> https://github.com/bukzor/s6-packaging/blob/dockerize/execline/debian/patches/02_link_against_libskarnet.patch
> -
> https://github.com/bukzor/s6-packaging/blob/dockerize/s6/debian/patches/75_dot_so_link_skarlib.patch
>

> Again this is because the build derps without them, but I forget the exact
> failure mode.
> I'll track down details upon request.

  The parts for binaries and static libraries are clearly invalid. If
something breaks while building those, then there's a problem with the
way the build is invoked, or the options to configure.
  For static libraries, -lskarnet is nonsense. For binaries, -lskarnet
is already listed in the requirements ($^) and should be translated
to a .a or .so by vpath resolution, so it is incorrect to list it
again. Something is definitely wrong if the package builds with them
while it won't build without.

  I'm still unsure about the shared libraries parts. I don't think
it should be needed, but my test suite isn't up to par and I need to
update it to test the problematic cases and understand exactly what
is happening.

  In the meantime, please find the problem with your build and fix it.
Chances are you won't need the shared libraries patch either once
you've done that. :)

> It seems likely to me that you'll want to figure out and fix these two
> issues given your response to the above patch.
> Is that right?

  Yes, and now you have work to do too. :P