Re: S6 / slashpackage gotcha

From: Colin Booth <cathexis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:44:45 -0800

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Laurent Bercot
<ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

> On 23/12/2014 19:38, Colin Booth wrote:
>>
>> My confusion was two-fold. First, I'd have expected --enable-slashpackage
>> to jam /command into the built-in path.
>
> So let's not be delusional: /command offers nothing over /bin. At this
> point, I'm just using it as a convenient directory to link all my
> slashpackage-installed binaries without cluttering /bin, but convenient
> is all it is. There's no real benefit of /command over FHS directories,
> unlike /package. There may be people who want /package but not /command;
> that's why I didn't auto-add /command to the default-path.

I use it for the same reason.

> The thing is, the default path should basically never be used. Everyone
> has a PATH in their environment; PATH is definitely the place to put
> /command in. When there is no PATH, I'd rather use absolute pathnames
> until I have a PATH again than rely on a default that isn't /usr/bin:/bin.
> If you want a different behaviour, well, use the option :)

Found the culpret. s6-svscanboot from the examples directory empties
out the environment, then loads a new environment from
/service/.s6-svscan/env/. Since 1.1.3.2 and prior compiled /command
into the default path, I got around to populating (or even creating)
that directory. Told you that it was probably due to my configuration.
Probably all that will need to be done to cover this is either update
s6-svscan-not-1.html to document this gotcha, symlink /etc/s6-init/env
into the .s6-svscan example directory (with a note about that only
being for non-init use), or simply assume that hardly anyone will be
running it in a slashpackage layout. Me, I'm fixing my environment.

Cheers!

--
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to
man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees